Colorado Tech Weekly #29: 10 news stories, 5 predictions and a cat
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local events every Monday morning!
Well, it’s the end of the year and this is a blog so it’s time for either a review post or a prediction post or both! I’ll spare you a year-in-review post since I didn’t start this blog until May, but I will supply you with 5 bold predictions for the Colorado tech scene in no particular order.
- Prediction #1: 2014 will be known as the year for the Internet of Things! Companies like Revolv and Rachio will be bought up by bigger service companies like Comcast or ADT.
- Prediction #2: Dish Network will not be awarded with the Worst Company to Work For award, breaking their 2 year streak.
- Prediction #3: Smartphones will reach an innovation plateau until a game-changing audio UI comes out, but that won’t happen until 2015. There will be curved displays, but no flexible displays. Handwringing will ensue.
- Prediction #4: This may be more of a wish than a prediction. Responsive web design will become the norm throughout the interwebz.
- Prediction #5: File this under “Go big or go home”. Amazon’s Fire OS will become the #3 most popular tablet OS which will cause HTML5 to finally gain some traction as a popular, device-independent language.
I’m curious to hear what you think of my predictions!
- Denver-based Closely improves Perch mobile app to deliver better digital marketing for small business [InnovatioNews]
- Denver-based Digabit releases Documobile, a mobile version of Documoto, for easy access to parts info [InnovatioNews]
- Englewood-based Pixorial further simplifies photo and video sharing with new features [BuiltinColorado]
- With CES just over a week away, CES chief Gary Shapiro and CBS still at odds after Dish awards controversy [TechKnowBytes]
- Fore! Brothers from Fort Collins raise $15K for golf app [AllOverTech]
- U.S. Mobile Internet Traffic Nearly Doubled This Year [Bits]
- Google Offers Developer Checklist for Building Better Mobile Sites [EWeek]
- Canonical gives developers a preview of a dual-booting Ubuntu and Android future [Engadget]
- Lawyers staying busy: Google asks US court to rule that Android has not infringed Rockstar patents [PCWorld]
- Samsung now lets developers build Smart TV apps that can control home appliances [TheNextWeb]
- 1/2 – Denver JS – Modern Componentized UI
- 1/4 – Denver Code Club – 10 Weeks / 10 jQuery Projects (Week 1)
- 1/7 – Code HQ – Denver DevOps Meetup
- 1/7 – BDNT – New Tech Boulder Monthly Meetup
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado, please let me know! Also if you attend any of the events listed, I would love to hear from you!
Happy New Year!