Colorado Tech Weekly #32: Overwhelming events and mobile contradictions
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local events every Monday morning!
Well my first Built in Brews event was… overwhelming. If you are ever in doubt about the vibrancy of the tech startup scene in Denver, go to one of those events. Your doubts will easily be put to rest. I forgot how loud networking events can get. I also forgot how futile they seem when you don’t have anything to ask of or offer other people. I also learned that admitting ignorance to someone that is 10 years younger than me is much easier to do behind a keyboard than it is face-to-face.
Speaking of large, overwhelming events, I have signed up to volunteer for the CTA C-Level @ Mile High event on March 6. I also signed up to help market the event online, so be prepared to see me mention it a few times. The only other CTA event I’ve been to was the APEX Conference last summer, so if it’s anywhere as organized as APEX was, it should be a good time.
- 2013 Colorado Startup Report: Over $1B Generated through Exits (infographic) [BuiltinColorado]
- 4 Colorado cities (Denver, Boulder, Greeley and Ft. Collins) rank among nation’s 20 ‘best performing’ for jobs, tech [DBJ]
- Colorado companies Dish and Westone win “Best Of” awards at Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas [InnovatioNews]
- Boulder-based Rogue Wave acquires Klocwork to enhance code security and reliability [InnovatioNews]
- Lockheed Martin secures $3.9M Air Force contract to continue tracking missiles, space debris [InnovatioNews]
- Denver’s FullContact buys Latvia-based Cobook, adds contact management apps and 1M users [Xconomy]
- GitHub acquires Y Combinator Alum Easel, a browser-based web design tool [TechCrunch]
- Forget trying to make money off mobile apps – App monetization to get tougher still, with Gartner predicting 94.5% of downloads will be free by 2017 [TechCrunch]
- But make mobile games and you’ll be rich! – Mobile gaming could drive entire video game industry to $100B in revenue by 2017 [VentureBeat]
- U.S. appeals court strikes down FCC net neutrality rules [Reuters]
- 1/22 – Boulder/Denver Big Data Meet Up – Experts Roundtable to get the year started
- 1/23 – Code HQ – LiveCode User Group
- 1/23 – Galvanize – gSchool FeedEngine Demo
- 1/23 – Denver Go Language User Group – Monthly Denver Gopher Meetup
- 1/23 – CTA – Fort Collins Panel – The New Era of the CIO: A Discussion…
- 1/27 – SeedPaths – Software Development Bootcamp Launch!
- 1/28 – Impact Hub Boulder – E-commerce Today: Improve Revenue Performance on the Web
- 1/28 – Colorado Code for Communities – Civic Hack Night
- 1/28 – AngularJS Denver – End to End Testing with Protractor
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado, please let me know! Also if you attend any of the events listed, I would love to hear from you!