Colorado Tech Weekly #84: Boggled by big numbers
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
I hope you had a great Martin Luther King Jr. Day yesterday. After the reactions to events in Missouri, New York and Ohio in the past 6 months MLK’s words and ideas are as important now as they ever were.
In the interest of brevity and comprehension we often abbreviate numbers when talking about large amounts of money. I wonder if seeing all the zeros associated with these large sums will change our understanding:
- Level 3 is planning a $500,000,000 debt offering.
- Latisys just got purchased for $675,000,000.
- Last quarter saw $342,200,000 venture capital deals in Colorado with $134,056,000 of that money going to tech companies.
That’s a lot of zeros. I’m not sure writing out the numbers helped my comprehension at all.
Top Colorado Technology News
- 2014 CEO of the Year finalists include CEOs from 7 Colorado tech companies [CoBizMag]
- Broomfield-based Level 3 plans $500M debt offering [BizWest]
- Why Boulder’s Zayo is Paying $675M for Latisys [DatacenterKnowledge]
- Littleton-based Lockheed Martin exemplifies 2 themes in Hickenlooper’s State of the State address [DBJ]
- Vail cell, wireless service improved [VailDaily]
- Events-app maker Veuvent relocates from Colorado to Texas [DBJ]
- Boulder companies dominate Colorado’s 4th-quarter VC deals [BizWest]
- Wayin Powers Gov. Hickenlooper’s #StateOfKind Challenge [Wayin]
- CenturyLink realigns execs, continues pokey roll out of 1 gig Internet in Denver [DenverPost]
- Denver scores No. 6 ranking on NerdWallet list of ‘Best Cities for Job Seekers in 2015′ [InnovatioNews]
- 1/21 – WWC – Ruby Study Group
- 1/22 – CTA – Application Performance Management Lunch and Learn
- 1/22 – GDI – [BOULDER] – Hosting your website with GitHub Pages
- 1/24 – GDI – DENVER: Building Your First iOS App Using Swift [INTERMEDIATE]
- 1/27 – Boulder iOS – Jan Meetup: Indie Game Dev on the Side: Lessons Learned
- 1/27 – CTA – Gov-in-Tech
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado, please let me know!
Does your Colorado tech company have a blog or newsletter? Am I already subscribed to it? If you answered “yes” then “no”, send me your info! I want to hear about what you’re doing!