Colorado Tech Weekly #236: 2016 Predictions Results and Net Neutrality Reactions
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
Last year I made 3 predictions. I predicted that Broomfield would see the most growth in tech companies, that I would get my first software developer job and that there would be fewer startups in Colorado by the end of this year. I give myself a shaky 2/3 credit for getting my predictions right. Not bad!
I’m not sure about my prediction about Broomfield. It seems as though Denver may have actually seen the most growth in tech companies and I’m pretty certain Boulder’s growth in the number of new tech companies has slowed.
Thanks to Infinicept, I got my second prediction right and, oh man, it feels good to have this job!
I am not sure there are fewer startups in Colorado. I think I overstated the effect that the political uncertainty would have on markets and regulations. I definitely overstated the effects of mistrust in technology. Although there did seem to be a good amount of consolidation in the Colorado tech starutp seen so I’ll take half credit. I hope my fears of a bubble are unfounded and honestly I don’t think we’ve reached the peak yet.
Next week I’ll make my 2018 predictions after Christmas. Have a great week!
Top Colorado Technology News
- Boulder-based Sphero’s droids debut in “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” [BizWest]
- What does the Denver tech job market look like for 2018? [DBJ]
- Denver’s Greystone gives back – Volunteering with A Precious Child [GreystoneTech]
- T-Mobile acquires Denver’s Layer3, aims to disrupt TV industry [DBJ]
- Boulder-based weather-software company Tempo Quest Inc. closes $2.5M financing round [BizWest]
- Movin’ on up: Meet 10 of the fastest-growing companies in Colorado tech [BuiltinColorado]
- MLB Advanced Media leases space at Canyon 28 in Boulder [BizWest]
- Now that FCC voted to repeal net neutrality, the Colorado tech community ponders what is next [DenverPost]
- Deposed CEO gets his job back at Colorado pot-tech company MassRoots [DBJ]
- Fast-growing Velocity Global moving into new RiNo headquarters [DBJ]
Top Upcoming Events
- 12/20 – Rocky Mountain Angular – Holiday hangout
- 12/20 – FreeCodeCamp Study Group – Learn Web Development, Self Paced, Beginners Welcome!
- 12/21 – NewTech Colorado – NewTech Denver
- 12/22 – Denver WordPress Meetup – React + Apollo + GraphQL + WordPress Overview from Qz.com
- 12/24 – Bootcampers Collective – 1st Annual Ugly Sweater Holiday Party & Gift Exchange!
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at COTechWeekly@Gmail.com.