Colorado Tech Weekly #239: The Gyms and Meetups are Packed. Welcome teh n00bs!
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
It’s the first full week of the year. The gyms are full! At least mine was last week. Locally-owned 212 Degree Fitness is a great gym in Littleton, by the way. And almost all the upcoming tech meetups are filled with people! We have only given up on half of our resolution and optimism still abounds!
If you’re one of the longtime members of a gym or meetup, please go out of your way to welcome the n00bs. Your attitude can affect how much someone commits to their resolution, goal or dream.
Speaking of being a n00b. I just finished my first month at Infinicept so I can tell you how overwhelming it is to be a n00b. We also start working out of the Alchemy co-working space today so if you’re there too, come by and say “Hi!”
Have a great week (BTW: “n00b” is gamer-speak for newbie)!
Top Colorado Technology News
- Douglas County-based Arrow buys San Jose/Indian software firm for reported $282M [DBJ]
- Denver smart-home tech startup Rachio raises a new VC round [DBJ]
- Denver-based Galvanize hires former top tech executive for city of Denver as its new CEO [DenverPost]
- Washington insurance technology firm Vertafore moving HQ to Denver and plans to hire 300 workers [DenverPost]
- Vista Equity buys another Denver tech firm, Granicus [DenverPost]
- IN RESPONSE: Don’t trust the legislature to improve rural internet [ColoradoPolitics]
- After beating cable lobby, Fort Collins moves ahead with muni broadband [ArsTechnica]
- CU researchers create next-gen soft robots [InnovatioNews]
- Denver-based health care ratings site Healthgrades confirms employee layoffs [DenverPost]
- Denver’s NextHealth highlighted in 5280’s “Digital Health Boom” [NextHealth]
Top Upcoming Events
- 1/10 – Denver Java Users Group – From Functional to Reactive Programming with Venkat Subramaniam
- 1/10 – Denver R User Group – R Basics
- 1/10 – GDG Denver – Matt Harris: Mobile Continuous Integration, Buddy Build and more
- 1/11 – DU – STEM Career and Internship Fair
- 1/11 – Turing School – Demo Night: Student Projects
- 1/13 – denhac – Workshop: “Hello World” of Machine Learning & Q&A
- 1/16 – Fort Collins IGDA Meetup – Untethered: VR Deep Dive
- 1/16 – ReactJS Denver – React + D3 and Drawing on a Map with deck.gl
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at COTechWeekly@Gmail.com.