Colorado Tech Weekly #285: Code Schools, Open Source and Growth
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
As I look at my headline for this week, I think that could be one really great subject. I wonder how many code school students were able to have an easier time jumping into an open source project and how much growth that allowed for both the students and the projects. As a computer science student myself, I’ve always found the process of contributing to open source projects intimidating which is why I should probably participate in more things like Hacktober. But this isn’t what this post is about!
This week we have a cornucopia of news about the Colorado tech community despite the holiday that causes us to use words like “cornucopia”. We have 2 new entries into the code school space with one in Greeley and one in Denver. The growth of the Denver and greater Colorado tech community continues at a rocketing pace. And we have not one, but two open source meetups coming up on the front range!
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Have a great week!
Top Colorado Technology News
- Douglas County-based DISH Names Atilla Tinic Chief Information Officer [DISH]
- Denver gov-tech firm Granicus not done buying companies after 4th acquisition in past year [DBJ]
- Construction starts on future Madwire HQ redevelopment project in Fort Collins [BizWest]
- 9 Colorado companies make Deloitte’s list of fastest-growing tech companies [DBJ]
- INterview with Magued Eldaief Prescient CEO [InnovatioNews]
- The Software Guild partners with the University of Northern Colorado to bring new coding bootcamp to Greeley [DigitalColorado]
- Alpine SG acquires Loveland software company E-Courier [BizWest]
- Boulder CAD software firm Frustum CEO on why he sold company for $70 million [DBJ]
- WeWork-backed Flatiron School coding bootcamp opening in Denver [DBJ]
- Tech firm Xactly moves into new downtown Denver office [DBJ]
Top Upcoming Events
- 11/28 – Denver Microservices – Running HashiCorp Vault on Kubernetes with Michael Herman [Denver]
- 11/28 – Ember.js Denver – Lightning Talks w/ Alex Ford, Charlie Hamilton, Chris Freeman and Chris Krycho [Denver]
- 11/28 – UX Book Club Denver – LOCAL AUTHOR PRESENTATION: Jeff Sauro, “Benchmarking the User Experience” [Denver]
- 11/29 – Node.JS Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins – React Personal Website for Beginners [Denver]
- 12/1 – GirlDevelopIt – Intro to User Research [Denver]
- 12/3 – Colo Spgs Open Source – Introduction to Apache Openwhisk Serverless Platform [Colorado Springs]
- 12/4 – GirlDevelopIt – Volunteer with Girl Develop It! [Denver]
- 12/4 – BuiltinColorado – Built In Brews at DigitalGlobe [Westminster]
- 12/4 – DOSUG – Annual Party at Saint Patrick’s Brewery [Littleton]
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at COTechWeekly@Gmail.com.